Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Father's Day! Were You Covered?

Happy Fathers Day!!! Fathers are the God-designated covering for their family, as well as their community. Unfortunately, men receive very bad reviews, when it comes to fathering at times. Therefore, I would like to take this moment in time to dedicate this article to all the wonderful men who stood for me and covered me in my life.

In my earliest memory of my biological father, I was about eight or nine years of age. I recall him pulling up in a yellow Cadillac with his derby hat tilted to the side stating ”Hey girl, I’m your dad! Before that, I recall my uncles being around all the time, especially one in particular, Uncle Gerald. Uncle Gerald never had children of his own, but we were and are still like his children today. My Uncle Gerald is a highly intelligent, mild-mannered man with a great sense of humor. Any question we could possibly ask him he knew the answer to it. We pestered him from day until night and he never got tired of us (so I suppose). He took us to parks, parades, and movies. We had a ball every single time with my uncle. He was the ultimate baby-sitter. To this day, I cherish the memories he gave us and will not ever forget them.

The next male who covered me was my biological father. Although, he became steady in my life when I was about 10 years of age, I am still blessed, because some people never experienced a father in their lives at any time. I learned that it is never too late to have a relationship with your father. I love my father because he was very lenient with me. He would discipline me as follows ”Dee, you know better!” That is as much chastening as I received from him. Growing up with strict upbringing from my maternal side of the family, he would often say he felt sorry for me, in turn he would let me get away with murder. One day for instance, I was finally allowed to go to my first rap show. It was a “Salt-n-Pepa” and “Kid-n-Play concert at the Starr Palace in downtown Youngstown. My mother stated the only way I could go to the concert would be if my Dad went with me. I was at the time about in the 9th grade. My Dad went to the theater and bought tickets, when he came home my mother inquired from him, “Where are your tickets?” He then stated he would buy one at the door. Well he never did! He took me and my cousins to the concert and dropped us off. At intermission, some of my friends came up to me and said, “Your mother is sitting in the back.” I was so shocked and horrified. To this day, my mother claimed she started to look for a cop because she saw “Play” expose himself and we were teenagers at the time. From that day to this one, she is the only person at the concert that I heard this account from!

When we arrived home later that night, world war III had actually broken out between my parents. To this day I appreciated my father’s attempt to allow me to have a little more freedom than I was allotted at times.

The next male in my life who covered me was my step dad. I hate the word “step” so he is actually my wise, knowledgeable spirit-filled dad. He is a well-respected minister in southern Mississippi. His wisdom is worth more than all the gold in the world. He has taught me things that I will never take for granted. His spirit is pure and I appreciate his awesome presence in my life for over 15 years. Whenever I yearn for Godly advice (which is all the time) I seek him out almost daily.

The man who is completely my covering right now is my husband whom I love dearly. I cherish his spirit and character.

All of these men have helped shape me and make me the women I am today. So on this father’s day let us not take the men in our lives for granted. Let each woman take this opportunity to thank all the men in her life who covered us. However if Jesus is the only man who covered you during your life, rejoice in that all the more. For there is no better covering than God!!!

Happy Fathers Day!!

Be blessed until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment