Thursday, March 29, 2012

MY TWO TRAYVON'S

The Trayvon Martin case has touched and or shocked each one of us. No matter who you are, you have been mentally or emotionally affected by the Trayvon Martin case. It has truly been a tragedy dramatically unfolding before our very eyes ever since we were made present of the gunshot heard around the world on February 26th.



This case however affected me on a more personal level. I am a single mom with two boys, sixteen and nine years-old. Ever since this awful, heartbreaking story has come to light, I have been basically in mourning for not only Trayvon and his family, but also in mourning for the possible future of my children also, if society does not change it's views on minority males.



Every day when I look at my boys I wake up with a hopeful sense of reassurance they will grow up and be at the very least a positive, productive citizen in society. The fact is, this is the United States of America. We are a free nation where each person has a potential for greatness. I know being an African-american male, odds are already stacked against them. Whatever the case may be, there is a sense of hope when they wake up in the morning. There is a promising, optimistic chance they will be successful in life.



However, I now see that the hunt is on now more than ever before! The hunt was on for Trayvon and the hunt is on for my two boys also! They may never get a chance to live the life they deserve to live freely and fully because they are the prey. The fear of African-American males in society and the idealism of how they are portrayed beyond a shadow of a doubt are the predators. This beautiful, handsome young man Trayvon Martin, in the famous words of President Obama, “does look like my sons!” I recognized and always realized that “my two Trayvon’s” will now be scrutinized regardless of their accomplishments forevermore. I now know that "my two Trayvon’s" has even a lesser chance than what I originally thought to live “The Complete American Dream”. However, I thank God I am placing "my two Trayvon’s" in His hands and not just America’s hands!


Until next time Peace and Blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment