Friday, February 1, 2013

My Gift: Always A Blessing Never A Curse



Using a non-didactic, narrative anecdotal, hyperbole style with multiple characterizations for my protagonist and antagonist is how best to describe my first book of short stories entitled, “The Yellow Legacies”.  Now if you did not understand my first sentence, you are probably not a writer and that’s okay too! (You’re cute so you will always have a job!)

However, I’ll explain everything and then some.  The word non-didactic means not informative.  The phrase narrative anecdotal means a narrated piece of work with a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.  The word hyperbole means giving the character exaggerated traits.  The word characterization is giving the reader a background on your character. The word protagonist is the main character of the story.  The word antagonist is the person who goes against the system in one’s story. So when I wrote "The Yellow Legacies" while researching different writing styles these are the ones I chose.  I was also able to characterize individuals and add traits. However, on some characters I took away traits. I also made-up some backgrounds and made-up all dialogue..  Because these were characters loosely based on individuals, I had that option as a first-time creative writer. Now that we have cleared that up, we can further engage.

As a child I always wanted to become a writer.  The first poem I ever wrote was published in the local Vindicator Mini Page.  This was our local newspaper in Youngstown, OH.  The second poem I ever wrote was highly regarded by my teacher and I was asked to read it at an annual Dr Martin Luther King Jr. day luncheon.  Those two instances help set the stage for me to embrace my gifts and talents as a writer.  Unfortunately, life happens and often your God-given gifts and talents are thrust to the back of your life’s shelves!

Fast forward my life to 2006 when I sat at my computer and wrote the “The Yellow Legacies”. It took a little under one year to write and seven years to publish.  All situations are real, however, all dialogue is made-up.  All situations can be verified and some are even by public record.  I came up with the idea of writing my novel of short stories after watching the play “Martin and Malcolm”. It is a play about what happened when they met for that one and only time.  No other entity was ever allowed in the room.  So they were the only one’s who will know the real conversation.  The writer and director decided to make-up all the dialogue because nobody ever knew what was really said.  I found this fact fascinating.  

I was so excited after it was done I decided to share it with my family.  With the one copy I had on hand, I passed it around.  They were very entertained.  Some even complimented me and said I had a talent for writing. One family member even said, "You all must admit out of all the stories my character seems the most interesting" as we all laughed and agreed.  Now, fast forward to January 2013 when I became an official published author. Most family are now upset.  I am so disappointed and confused. It saddens me that my gift upset people.  I am doing writing workshops for teenagers and holding self-esteem and poetry workshops to help young women who are hurting. This is also setting the stage for my “Purple Legacies Foundation” which helps young women to write and share their gifts and talents. "The Purple Legacies", is also my second book’s title going to print in 90 days.

The only thing I ever wanted to do was to encourage my young women who I mentored for years, that no matter what you go through in life, you can truly overcome any and everything. You can fulfill your dreams and become whatever you want no matter what obstacle you have in front of you.  My former clients email and call me all the time and inform me of how proud they are for my first book.   My gift has brought me a lot of joy knowing that I can help young women believe they can achieve.  As for my family all I can say is, “I’m sorry for the distress you say this has caused you.  I am not sorry for using my gift. I love you all and always will! Peace and Blessings to you and all your future endeavors always!”

With Love and Sincerity,
 Danica

2 comments:

  1. Wow...you are such an inspiration! Your God given gift of helping others is coming to life! I have not read your book yet...but will now have to find the time, as I am anxious for your second book! So very proud of you!
    Love,
    Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very sweet. I thank you so much!! I learned that no matter what we encounter in our lives we have to use that which hurt us initially to help others get through their hurt. Whatever your gift and talent is, use that to assist the next woman. I once knew a beautiful, intelligent woman who worked at this nursing school sharing her wisdom and life lessons with me. She helped me tremendously!!! I owe her to pass some wisdom I learned on to others also!!!

    ReplyDelete